Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Most Expensive Thing in the World

Perhaps you have read, or heard, one of my favorite expressions of all time. "The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance."  Ben Franklin coined the expression. I'm sure that it comes from somewhere back in the beginnings of our culture. Throughout time there have been forces that sought to keep us ignorant, if for no other reason than keeping us from being able to make sound choices. I consider my own education to be one of the most valuable things that I rely on. It cannot be taken from me, and if I had been paid for the time I have put into studying, even at a paltry dollar per hour, I would be a millionaire. Well, maybe a 145,600aire. It would take ten dollars per hour to make it 1.456 mil. This week I finally got in touch with an artifact that I have sought since early adulthood. Early in my career, I was working at a summer camp for troubled youth. The vast majority of our charges and indeed, many of the counselors came from poverty stricken and crime riddled neighborhoods. I'm not even sure if the term "at risk" was used back then, but center city children often confront an array of difficult factors that can limit their potential.

The wealthy often point to the miniscule percentage of these children that seem to be annealed by the fires of poverty, inspired by lack and who tenaciously cling to a dream despite nearly constant oppression. What this post is about is not by what methods these individuals succeed, it is not even about why we often find stories of inspiration in these people's lives. My intent is to make a point of the fact that even in our relative lives of luxury, we too can surpass our circumstances, if we just practice a few simple steps. I am here to spread the word, as I often do, about just how we might break the shackles of our own oppression and dissolution, reach beyond our limits and those that others put upon us, reach out, touch others and gain perspective that sheds light on areas of our own consciousness that remain hidden from others, but have the most detrimental affects when they remain hidden from our selves. The unfolding of a new age awaits, it is driven by love and abundance. May we all be aware of what we choose to bring forward. It is determined only by us and that which results from our actions, as well as our inaction are only attributable to our selves. Learning to live true to our inner selves is complicated and for some, the challenges are great, but the rewards of tuning in to the higher self are infinite.

Long ago, I listened to outside voices that told me there were certain things that I could not do. Perhaps I am still doing that on some level today. I understand that this may reduce your confidence in what I am about to say, but in some respects it just proves that I know of what I speak. Rather than fighting for my limitations, I am writing to express the infinite variety of possibility that awaits each and every one of us. I am not interested in sharing my dream with you, or foisting them upon you. I only mention them as something to point to. Like Magritte's Ceci n 'est pas une pipe, it is by way of reference, so that you might make it your own. I am attempting to get you to understand that your own dreams deserve spending time with, exploring, committing to and ultimately, finding your own way clear to discovering. there are miracles there for you to explore! Too often, we find the world imposing itself on our lives, often in ways that don't ring true to our spirit. This is why so many of us become unpaid cab drivers for our children, (before you react, realize that any number of activities can be substituted in place of that one.) endlessly scheduling and bouncing around from commitment to responsibility to obligation can usurp our power and undermine sense of self, satisfaction and bliss. Similarly, going to endless meetings, diversions and ceaseless organizing can inflict a toll on our ability to self realize our dreams through action as well. This is where listening to our true nature becomes tricky, as we take on responsibility, we have to develop tenacity and discipline, rigors that sheeple never have to contend with.

Listening to external voices can be tricky. At once they seem genuine and they often have the seduction of being couched in terms of endearment. "You should...", "You can't...", "It would be best if...", Why aren't you..?" I'm sure you have heard many forms of the same schpiel. However, even in these well understood terms we find varieties and layers of our own experiences to sort through. mine are certainly different than yours, though we probably share many in common as well. Don't shit where you eat comes to mind. Perhaps ignorance is the most expensive thing in the world, but from my perspective, listening to others is even more expensive. When you dip your toes into the waters of spiritual quest, the advise of others can lead to limitation, destruction and loss. Our true nature cannot lie about who we are or who we have become. Only ego can do that. When we become aware of who we truly are, we become forever changed. As I have said before, when you have tried all the keys, it is time to use the skeleton key. That part of you that no longer serves your dreams needs to die away for new life to be discovered. I hope that each one of us can break free of our limited "self interest", absorb the energy and resources to break free of our shells, grow and blossom into the person we are called to be, unencumbered by the admonition of others, inspired by the Lord and Lady, God, The All or whatever term you choose. Surely, allowing any other to make peace between yourself and the eternal is a fools errand. Blessed Be in your quest! May your spirit swiftly find it's way Home!

No comments: