Sunday, January 24, 2016

Saladino 4 District 8

Since my youth, I have followed politics. During the course of my life, many have said that I need to run for political office. Who among us had not heard the lie that all politicians are crooks? It goes without saying that joining a club that many believe is made up of criminals, liars, cheats and manipulative SOBs is not something that kind-hearted, compassionate and helpful people seem likely to do. To say that I have considered running for office would be an understatement. The difficulty was always the same. I have been marginalized, ridiculed and misrepresented by so many over the years that beginning to realize that I am part of, even representative of the great silent majority in our nation has been a long time coming. I have no problem being comfortable in my own shoes, but it took decades to realize that most people believe, like I do that the ultrawealthy should not be allowed to buy our representatives to any office. My maturing views led me to understand that no matter what I thought about the representatives that have come before me, my choices would be my own.

That is why I have pledged to run for the U.S. House of Representatives.

I will not accept any corporate donations. I have seen the disastrous end which that leads to and in advance I will say that any corporate welfare recipients who donate to my campaign will have their dollars turned directly over to not for profit organizations or the purchase of property that will be put into land trust, to protect wildlife and establish habitat for the future.

My current representative to Congress put out campaign literature that I read thoroughly and on virtually every issue we disagree. The two planks in his platform that we do agree on, however, he is in agreement for all the wrong reasons. Worse yet, his understandings and beliefs are based on the lies of the oligarchs. The Teathuglican Party has become refuge for out of touch money grubbers and billionaires. When it began, it was people tired of the takings that are associated with letting money run things. One person one vote was the Constitutional framers intent. Not one dollar one vote. I have always understood this at my core.
10 and 1/3 counties make up my District Forests to Lakeshore, The upper reaches of the Wolf, all the way to the Bay. From fertile farmland to concrete jungle, quiet meadow to bustling tourist destination, we are many things to many people. what we all want to be known for is being our best!

The single, most important thing that I have noticed in all my years watching politics closely, is the predominant feature. Virtually every political creature concedes, before their race even begins that the money will always "win". They seek it like flies find shit. In my campaign, I resign myself to be what the people want, not a sellout. We need government to spend wildly on things individuals cannot afford. I do not want to continue to spend public dollars on building stadia, expo halls and infrastructure that can only be used by out-of-towners who take their profits elsewhere. I'm sure that where I live, Northeast Wisconsin, has been shaped and designed by the very wealthiest folks, toward their ends and by any means they deemed necessary.

We have what some have called "The hardest working river in the world" running through the heart of our District. It has more power producing dams in the shortest distance of any river on earth. Virtually all of this power "belongs" to corporate agents and assigns. One dam in particular, in the heart of De Pere, flooded a mile long rapids, eliminating the turbulence that boosted O2 levels for fish downstream and provided habitat for a profusion of life. Now, it is a barrier to fish migration. This approach decidedly privatizes all profit and socializes all costs. With the current interest in whitewater kayaking, imagine the economic benefit for the entire town if it became known as the heart of a natural Olympic level practice area. Regions that currently have utilized their long and storied histories based on and related to their water resources, shipping, boat building, and their intimate relation to that history have fared well economically only because they find solace in knowing that the waters, when left alone will recover. Natural forces want this to happen. Communities that have accepted and celebrated their historic links to nature fair better than those that remain constantly at war against it. Perhaps the work that our river does can benefit more people in sustainable work.

Just the other day, I saw an office sized paper recycling station. It takes papers, to be shredded, that are currently routinely shipped off to commercial shredders, into one end and within a few hours, turns it back into ready to use paper from the other end. There are no more buggy whip manufacturers. If we do not grow and change as fast as a pea seed in springtime, we are doomed. The rise of the shared car, the co-op and communal living arrangements are not new. The consumerist way of life is. My campaign is about humanity, not defending fetuses who are later exploited, poisoned and exposed to abuse and neglect in every other way. I will not hold up religion as umbrella or sword to parry the elements of nature, of truth, and/or strike down those who are already victims. weak, tired and disenfranchised as they might be. I firmly believe that the true value of civilizations are how well they treated their children and elders, the weak, the infirm and the youth, who will always need to believe that growing up is a worthwhile endeavor.

 Those who read my blogs know more deeply my heart than my beliefs. A mind, indeed, is like a parachute, it only works when open. The opened mind knows that all is change, all is flow, flux and creation. with a bit of support and security, we can all achieve great things. If you would, please tell friends about my blog, encourage others to run for offices if they find themselves believing in people, rather than profits. We can all see the brick wall that the oligarchs keep trying to bulldoze through. Lend your voice to the movement away from dead ends of fossil energy, of privatization, of competition. together, we are all worth far more than at the throats of one another.

Thanks for sharing this around. Even those who are not from Northeast Wisconsin should know.

No comments: